domingo, 7 de octubre de 2012

Becoming a Vegetarian


(1) participles
(2) absolutes (noun + present or past participle)
(3) appositives
(4) adjectives out of order

Becoming a vegetarian
I have been trying to become a vegetarian (yes, a person that not eat meat for a bunch of different reasons). Actually, I have been without eating meat for almost a year. I know there are some people who do not have problems to quickly make the first step, but that was not my situation. Having an unhealthy diet was one of my major worries. I did not want to start losing weight or getting sick, and realize that vegetarianism was not an option for me; therefore, I started doing lot of research about it. My mind tangled and my Mom doubting about my decision; do I have the willpower to do this?
I decided that it would be a better idea to go slow. First, cut out red meats (cow and pork) and then white meat (chicken and turkey). This method had good results; after two months I had already left behind red and white meat. However, I am still struggling with seafood. I live in a region of Chile which is a rich source of seafood and I have been eating it since I was a little girl. I also love cooking so it became a big challenge using (and eating) new vegetarian and vegan recipes.
Kneading and baking in my kitchen, I found how easy it was to create new culinary food without using any kind of animal products. Veggie quiches, Bean lasagna, and Eggplant pizza, were the first recipes that I proudly made.
While doing my research I also found millions of pictures, videos, and articles that showed how animals were (and are) treated by the meat industry. Images of farm animals are still on my mind, scared, crowded, and agonizing. Most of those animals are kept into small cages—they can even turn around—and fed with pesticides and antibiotics.
I am aware that being a vegetarian or vegan can be difficult, but there are hundreds (if not thousands) of reasons that prove that is totally worth it. I want vegetarianism to become a lifestyle that I am proud of.

2 comentarios:

  1. That is so cool that you are a vegetarian! Good for you, I always have thought about it, but I just cannot give up meat. It would be too difficult for me. You did a great job incorporating all of the patterns of the week. For this sentence, " My mind tangled and my Mom doubting about my decision; do I have the willpower to do this?", I may have used a colon instead of a semi-colon...or even just somehow changed the format of the sentence to make a little more sense. It is kind of a random sentence to me, but you did use a nice absolute in it. Overall, good job. Those meals you listed sound amazing, I will have to try them!!

    ResponderEliminar
  2. yes, Alyssa's right. That absolute is fine, but the rest of the sentence doesn't work with it because it's a question. "My mind tangled, my Mom doubting my decision, I worried that I didn't have the will power to do this."
    I read your blog with much personal interest, Macarena. I too have been trying to eat only plants, or even just fish and fowl, and I'm really struggling, especially with seafood.

    ResponderEliminar