domingo, 16 de septiembre de 2012

So far this semester...


So far this semester I have noticed that I am aware of the different errors that people tend to make while writing. I really have enjoyed the different in-class activities when we have to proofread and analyze newspapers. During those activities I could realize that even a journalist may present errors of punctuation; sometimes they are not consistent while using them. I consider that it is important to discuss consistency in class because it reveals our own style of writing and also help us to develop a “readable” piece.
As a non-native learner of the English language, I am also aware of the different structures, forms, and functions that written and spoken English present. I know the importance of syntax; the different parts of a sentence such as subject, verb, object, etc. and the different word classes such as nouns, adjectives, verbs, etc.
One of the problems that I am still struggling with is the use of “phrasal verbs.” I have problems to recognize whether the preposition or adverb is part of the phrasal verb or it is acting by itself within the sentence.  I also get confused because the meaning of the verb sometimes completely changes. During my first years studying English it was very complicated to learn new ones, I used to learn them by heart and then forget them the following week. One of my friends also struggled with that. However, between her and me, the problem was solved. We created some fun mnemonics—with drawings included in order to learn those new words. We even encouraged each other to use those phrasal verbs in context, in every day conversation.
I previously mentioned that I am aware of the different parts of a sentence; however, it is still difficult for me to identify, for instance, intransitive verbs or indirect objects. But I am optimistic and I think I would learn how to identify them during the following weeks. It is never too late to understand new things that is why I see myself as a life-long learner. I am willing to comprehend the variety of conventions that languages in general present.

3 comentarios:

  1. Muy bien! I see both of the patterns that we were required to use. In fact I used the 'between' pattern in the exact same way. Good job with itself and myself.

    ResponderEliminar
  2. yes, we'll do more with intransitive/transitive verbs this week, but I hadn't really planned on discussing indirect objects. Is that a problem area for non-native speakers?

    ResponderEliminar
  3. It is not a general rule applied to non-native speakers. It is my own issue with indirect objects. I remember that found it difficult sometimes while doing my grammar exercises.

    ResponderEliminar